A number of users have reported that they can’t trim video in PowerPoint. This issue can become extremely frustrating in time, especially if you have a large number of projects that include videos.
Here is what one user had to say about this issue on Microsoft Answers forums:
Can’t trim video in PPT 2016.Is my version missing features or something? All the videos and articles i’ve seen about trimming video for PPT 2016 refer to a mythical “(Video Tools) Playback tab” that i don’t have. They say to click on the video and this tab is supposed to appear. It doesn’t. What am i doing wrong? I’m very frustrated.
Although WindowsReport is a Microsoft-centric website, many of our readers asked us to help them to solve this annoying PowerPoint error on Mac. For this reason, we decided to write this quick guide and save the day.
Please follow the steps carefully, and after each method try to see if it fixed the issue.
What to if I can’t trim video in PowerPoint?
1. Update your version of PowerPoint on your Mac
- Open up PowerPoint.
- Choose the option Help from the top menu -> select Check for Updates.
- Inside the newly opened window -> under the section How would you like updates to be installed? -> select Automatically Download and Install.
- Click on Check for Updates.
Note: In case you can’t see the Check for Updates button inside the Help menu -> download the latest Microsoft AutoUpdate Tool -> retry the steps mentioned above.
2. Use third-party software to trim your video
- Download Movavi Video Editor Plus.
- Open up the software -> upload your video.
- By dragging the sliders -> trim your video to the desired size.
- Add the trimmed video to your PowerPoint presentation.
Why is Movavi Video Editor Plus the best video editor on the market? Check out our review to find out!
3. Make sure your Office 365 subscription is active inside the software
- Visit the Services and subscriptions page.
- Sign into your Office 365 account by using the Microsoft account email and password.
- Observe the details under the Services & Subscriptions title. ( if you see a circle arrow it means that subscriptions are set to renew automatically).
- If you can’t see any subscription there, it means that is the reason for the above-mentioned error. To fix it buy an Office 365 subscription and activate it.
4. Trim videos inside PowerPoint using the Set option (for PowerPoint 2016 Mac version)
Even though This technique applies only to PowerPoint 2016, it allows you to bypass the Trim Video option not being available by using the Video Tool inside PowerPoint instead.
- Inside PowerPoint -> click on Video Tool.
- In the newly opened window -> click on the Set button -> drag the markers to your desired location -> press Trim.
- This method should trim your video file to the desired size.
Please let us know if any of these methods proved useful in your situation by using the comment section below.