Life in recent times has become so connected that at times we wish we could have some time off and not have to check our phones every minute. In those cases, it is best if you know how to set up voicemail on Android or iPhone so that you can stay away for other work or engagements without having to worry about missing urgent calls entirely.
Having a voicemail allows you to direct your calls to another number or save recorded calls that you couldn’t answer for later hearing.
Voicemail service by telephone service carriers
You can use your telephone service provider to set up voicemail on your phone.
The alternative to using your carrier voicemail is using Google Voice service as your voicemail server.
You can set up voicemail on android phone or iPhone within minutes simply by following these steps below. The process can differ slightly from carrier to carrier or as per the different telephone service providers.
How to set up voicemail on Android phone: Step-by-step guide
1. Open Settings on your Android phone.
2. Tap on Call settings and select Voicemail.
3. Sometimes you may need to type ‘voicemail’ on your Settings search or browse manually to figure out the right path to access voicemail settings. It may be named Voicemail settings or Voicemail Setup, or simply Setup.
4. When you access Voicemail setup settings, select your carrier under Voicemail Service.
5. Select Voicemail number and type in your voicemail number – it can be your own mobile number or someone else’s number where you want your voicemails to reach.
6. A popup will come on your Android phone saying ‘voicemail number changed’. Click OK.
7. Open the dialer on your android phone and dial 1. Your phone should call the voicemail service of the carrier you selected while voicemail setup.
8. The voice command will give you a PIN or password on call. Enter it.
9. Record your name by speaking clearly when the voice commands prompts you.
10. Then choose what you want callers to hear when they call you but you are not answering. You can choose from default greetings or record one of your own when prompted by the voice command.
11. A few other settings might be needed which differ according to mobile service providers. Follow the voice commands to go through those.
12. Completing the process means you successfully set up voicemail on android phone.
How to set up voicemail on iPhone: Step-by-step guide
1. Go to the Phone app on your iPhone home screen, and click the Voicemail icon on the right corner to open up your visual voicemail.
2. A ‘Set up’ button will appear on the iPhone screen. If you have used voicemail on iPhone before, enter your oil password. If this is your first time, create a new password and enter it. Select ‘Done’ when finished.
3. Next, you will get the Greeting screen on your iPhone where you can record your own greeting for voicemails. For a personalised greeting select ‘Custom’ and record your own greeting. Play it back to yourself to check. Click ‘Done’ when you are happy with your recorded greeting.
But if you are okay with a Default greeting for your voicemail setup on iPhone, click ‘Done’ to skip this step.
Step 4: Now you know the full process of how to set up voicemail on iPhone.
In case the Apple visual voicemail is not up to your expectations, you can use an iOS visual voicemail app such as AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile or Sprint.
Read: Here’s how to use WhatsApp web on your PC, laptop or tablet
Read: How to stop notifications in android phone: Follow these simple steps
Read: Here’s how you can make a video of your screen in iPhone and Android
Read: This is how you can find your iPhone when you lose it